All information in this section is for informational purposes only and is not to be construed as a prescription or direction to treat. A massage therapist is not licensed to prescribe exercises.
Trigger points are small "knots" found in tight muscles that are responsible for referring pain, as well as other symptoms, usually to areas away from themselves. Each muscle in the body has it's own trigger points which refer in a very specific pattern. Knowing these patterns and where to find the trigger points are the first step in relieving the symptoms they cause. Knowing what causes each trigger point to become active is an important factor in preventing their activation.
Pain in the forehead
When severe, crosses to the other side
Pain above the eyebrow
Activation and perpetuation of trigger points
A posture or activity that activates a trigger point, if not corrected, can also perpetuate it. In addition, many structural and systemic factors will perpetuate a trigger point that has been activated by an acute or chronic overload.
1. Excessive forward head posture shortens the sternocleidomastoid and activates and strongly perpetuates trigger points in it.
2. Sitting with the head turned to one side for a prolonged period of time. Examples include watching tv or speaking to someone to the side.
3. Sleeping on two pillows.
4. Any activity that places the neck in extension (causing you to look up) for prolonged periods of time, such as overhead work like painting, hanging curtains, or sitting in a theater with a high stage.
5. Overuse in sports like wrestling.
6. Injury like a fall or an auto accident causing whiplash.
7. A deformity or injury that restricts upper arm movement and requires awkward compensatory neck positioning.
8. A short leg.
10. An abnormal gait (walking with a limp, for example).
11. A tight Pectoralis major (chest muscle) pulls on the clavicle (collar bone) which in turn shortens the sternocleidomastoid.
HOURS: Hours Vary Please Call for an Appointment. Later Evenings and Saturdays Available 931-624-4333